[lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 19 10:31:19 PST 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The Concrete Goals listed in the Communist Manifesto came from the practice
> of the Communist League; they were not theoretically derived.

Marx spent a lot of time criticizing the practically derived goals of others. Theory contributed nothing to that?

More than ten years after we wrote the activistism piece, we still get comments from activists burned out on precisely what we identify as its characteristics: a focus on action, without thinking about the point of the action, unless it's to recruit more activists. In other words, our critique - which you dismiss as empty theorizing - comports with their actual experience of practice.

You know, I just don't believe that you're as anti-intellectual as you pretend to be when you're in this mode.

Doug