[lbo-talk] My Letter To CH

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Dec 19 21:40:37 PST 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:27:27 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> no anti-imperialist was seduced by the guy's prose style
> into changing his or her mind.

That's absolutely true. The fury people felt at him was disproportionate to his actual effectiveness, which seems to me like a good reason for leaving him off the list of the real monsters -- the Kissingers, the Clintons -- who deserve to have their graves pissed upon, and the fresher the better. Not to mention the sooner the better.

> Some people like me, who hated his
> political turn over the last 10 years, felt personal sorrow at his
> death, but even more sorrow over what happened to the better Hitchens
> who'd died ten years earlier.

It's different when you know the guy personally. Most of us didn't, so the public Hitch is all we can respond to.

> Evidently I'm not the only Palladio
> working in straw.

Indeed not. But you're the best.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

Any proposition that seems self-evident is almost certainly false.