[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

Steve Bruns sdbruns at telus.net
Tue Dec 20 08:51:07 PST 2011

On 20-Dec-11, at 7:42 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2011, at 8:11 AM, nathan tankus wrote:
>
>> Forgive me for missing the memo but what exactly is the problem
>> with a
>> carbon tax (or at least why would it be a complete failure not worth
>> doing)?
>
> I'm fine with it. The righteous think it's neoliberal or something.
>
> Doug

Here in British Columbia we have a carbon tax. It is a surtax on fossil fuels, most notably a 5.56 cents/ltr on gasoline, 6.39 cents/ ltr on diesel fuel and $51.93/tonne on high heat value coal. It is designed to be revenue neutral and the offsetting tax cuts are primarily to corporations and "small" business.

I would argue that this is an exercise in greenwashing a tax shift since a true carbon tax would need to be sufficient enough to actually alter consumption, which this clearly isn't. Doesn't this at least align with neoliberal policy?