[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Dec 20 10:35:00 PST 2011

Doug writes:

> the trip we're about to take to Gloucester, Mass., for the hols.
> The three of us on Amtrak, about $300 roundtrip, not counting
> getting from Boston to Gloucester. By car, about $50.

Gas isn't the only cost of your trip; AAA estimates about $0.70/mi all-in for an average car. Driving is still cheaper than Amtrak, I grant you, but even in your dream world of gas being double what it is today, you're more than likely to drive anyway: because of the convenience of having your car once you get there.

Gar makes a great point -- that you've dismissed on-list before -- that without commensurate investment in alternatives, just making it expensive won't keep you from doing it. You'll just further stratify the inequality in the US.

> Gas costs less than bottled water. That's insane.

If you want to see insane (poverty), double the price of gas.

/jordan