[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

nathan tankus somekindofheterodox at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:14:37 PST 2011

I think there is some confusion about what the point of a carbon tax is. it is not to reduce consumption. Only the neoclassicals think that every good has high elasticity so that taxing carbon will automatically reduce emissions by reducing consumption. There is an alternative argument. if you look at it in competition terms ( please forgive me for discussing such vagaries) energy sources that don't dump an incredible amount of carbon (or any kind of pollutant) are at a competitive disadvantage to those who do. if alternative energies become more cost effective and start gaining market share, extractive energy companies will simply start pushing more costs onto third parties. You can already see this now with the tar sands affair. they are much more environmentally devastating even as the energy return on investment is much lower then the prevailing norm. putting carbon taxes (and carbon tariffs) makes it very monetarily costly to pursue that business strategy.

Of course, returns to scale and other such benefits these industries have accrued as the dominant forces in the energy sector still make them much lower cost industries then "clean" alternatives, but a carbon tax would be a disincentive to emission increases and be an incentive to emission reduction. it is no alternative to public expenditure and investment in clean technology but it is a powerful weapon to encourage international industries reliant on U.S markets to lower emissions and to prevent a Gresham's dynamic from worsening emissions. I think it is prerequisite successfully averting the worst case scenarios of climate change. It is much easier to find out how much carbon taxes a given company is paying then how well they are being regulated making it a better tool for political action.

p.s one interesting policy I've heard tossed around is passing an executive order for federal buildings to switch over to purchasing alternative energy sources. some who work in the industry that that would be all that was needed to create the returns to scale to make some of these technologies competitive.