[lbo-talk] 'Star Wars" religion rises in Czech Republic

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 01:22:32 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:00, c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Czech Republic isn't the only country to boast followers of the
> "Star Wars" faith. According to Time, Great Britain and New Zealand
> also list the Jedi Church on formal surveys. Over 390,000 Britons said
> that they practiced the religion in 2001.

I always liked the Czech due to its anti-catholic stance.

---- The nation's capital possesses so many churches Prague has been called the city of a hundred spires.

Those churches frequently sit empty. Though a Catholic country by tradition, the Czech Republic is sometimes called the most atheistic nation in Europe --- (...) --- But unlike neighboring Poland and Slovakia, two very Catholic countries where the church exerts a major influence, Czech society remains suspicious, even antagonistic to organized religion. Anti-Catholicism runs deep here, rooted in 600 years of Czech history in which the Catholic church came to be identified with foreign domination. --- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_15_37/ai_70926899/

(it´s a 10 yrs old article, fwiw -you might want to compare figures with your quoted article to highlight any trends- I haven´t)

FC PS: I prefer FSM Church myself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster