[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 21 05:27:23 PST 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 1:58 AM, Gar Lipow wrote:

> My point is not that carbon taxes do nothing, but that public
> investment and regulation are at least as important

In NYC, we have a pretty good public transit infrastructure, but people still drive heavily. Bloomberg's congestion pricing scheme, which would have charged people to drive into Manhattan, aroused howls of pseudo-populist outrage, but he had a point: it's not enough to have the infrastructure, you have to price things so that they use it.

Doug