[lbo-talk] Workers of Europe unite, you've only Euro chains to lose

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:25:16 PST 2011

On 2011-12-21, at 4:35 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> Marv – yes, I agree with Charles. The working class opposition to the *European Union* is by no means all nationalist, nor under any illusion that indigenous bosses are better. There may be some that think that. But most are positively in favour of Europe. They just do not confuse the marvellous creativity of the peoples of Europe with the moronically oppressive European Union. The European Union is an anti-democratic force that works for business elites, and against popular control.
>
> Read these two for example
> http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/news/content/view/full/113384
> http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/11904/

I'll read the articles, James, but I don't see where it has been argued otherwise, either in the article I posted or in Charles' or my comments. Did I miss something? It also seems from here that the opposition to the anti-democratic "European Union" is not all or mostly nationalist, and even among those workers who present themselves as such, nationalism - as someone once put it - is but the "envelope" of their social (class) consciousness.