[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:53:06 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 21:41, Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2) A lot who are not individuals are small businesses.
>
> What on Earth are you talking about, Willis?
>
> Do you know many individuals or small business that generate their own
> power? Ever heard of utilities and the concept of "power grid" ?
>
> The vast majority of the power is generated by a handful of utilities.

You snipped too hastily. You are quoting from a section on building efficiency regulations - which is homeowners,and landlords and companies who own buildings they lease. In the latter case you often have management companies which have incentives to comply with regulations that the owners might prefer to ignore.

Thus I was not talking about power generators in the section you quoted. Though for other reasons renewable portfolio standards and feed-in tariffs are mostly complied with by big electricity generation companies.