[lbo-talk] Religion: was Re: Christopher Hitchens

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 07:18:06 PST 2011

On Dec 23, 2011, at 4:44 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It's been 50 years since I read Hard Times, but I think Mr. McChoakumchild
> in that book would disapprove of phatic speech -- precisely because he
> believes there are only facts, not human needs and desires, in the world.

The irony of course is that it's precisely such individuals who tend to evoke, if not demand, the most phatic lubrication from their interlocutors. In particularly twisted cases that can take a *gestural* form of colluding in the maintenance of contrived silences - silences taken and felt as indicators of their guardians' relative superiority over those chattering imbeciles over there.

Dangers everywhere.