[lbo-talk] germany-builds-twice-as-many-cars-as-the-u-s-while-paying-its-auto-workers-twice-as-much/ ?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:17:51 PST 2011

Also they don't charge twice as much for their cars in Europe. MB and BMW sell top-of-the-line models with only their biggest engines and lots of high-end options at top dollar the USA, so we think of them as being costly luxury cars, but in Europe you see MBs and BMWs as police cars, company fleet cars and taxis. For one example, if you buy a BMW 3-series in the USA the smallest engine you can get is a 230 HP 3.0 L six; in Germany they sell a 3-series with a 1.8L four with about 145 HP. Another example is the MB A-Class,a small hatchback that resembles the Honda Fit/Jazz. They don't even sell that model in this country for fear of tarnishing their US reputation as exclusively a "luxury car" manufacturer.