[lbo-talk] why Paul is a fascist

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 23 11:28:55 PST 2011

Amiri Baraka, whom I still admire, made the mistake of citing Hitler's rise as an analogy to the 2008 election! And I continue to admire a number of current leftists who are still using "fascist" without really knowing what fascism was. The current Joseph referred to is a strong one. See G.M. Tamas, "Telling the Truth about Class" for an excellent brief identification of what Fascism was. Crudely (very crudely) fascism aimed to replace the modern ideology of merit with the older ideology of _Place_. In practice of course it served capitalism, but its ideology (and/or rhetoric) was in some ways anti-capitalist: hence (probably /possibly) its appeal to some who should have known better.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 1:04 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] why Paul is a fascist

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Marv Gandall Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 11:20 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] why Paul is a fascist

On 2011-12-23, at 11:58 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> "Fascist" becomes a mere excuse for sticking with the fucking DP.

Another sweeping pronunciamento.

The Black Panthers, whom you hold up as your exemplar, routinely (and mistakenly) denounced the US as a "fascist" country.

So did I, as late as 1988. Many of us said many things in the '60s that we wouldn't say now. We did the best we could with the history we had -- which was sorely lacking.

Carrol

Carrol

Were they also just shilling for the DP?