[lbo-talk] A liberal geek defense of Ron Paul

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 31 08:14:27 PST 2011

On Dec 31, 2011, at 11:08 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> as for people being mad at Obama as some sort of sign that they're not Liberals... I'd say that anyone who is disappointed in Obama is obviously a Liberal. A liberal actually takes these jokers seriously! Actually thought Obama would be different? Actually projected all those hopes and dreams on the guy? THAT's a liberal!

It was not completely fanciful to expect that Obama would have been a little stronger - more a Teddy Roosevelt Progressive, with some modest but sensible regulation coming off the Second Gilded Age, if not an FDR New Dealer. Even against that modest expectation, he's been a disappointment.

Also, a lot of liberals are civil libertarians, and must be shocked that Obama has turned out to be worse than Bush on those sorts of issues. I can't say I'm shocked, but I am surprised that he's *this* repressive.

Doug