[lbo-talk] A liberal geek defense of Ron Paul

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Sat Dec 31 08:40:46 PST 2011

On 12/31/2011 11:14 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> It was not completely fanciful to expect that Obama would have been a
> little stronger - more a Teddy Roosevelt Progressive, with some
> modest but sensible regulation coming off the Second Gilded Age, if
> not an FDR New Dealer. Even against that modest expectation, he's
> been a disappointment.

This could be a grand re-election strategy. Lurch to the right for the first term, causing the Republicans to scramble amongst extremists for a candidate. Bet that the frustrated and disillusioned liberals and progressives will still vote for him anyway, because holy shit - President Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum???

I am not predicting radical policies during the second term, but it may not be quite as repressive.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123