[lbo-talk] Suleiman?

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Feb 1 12:01:42 PST 2011

``Katherine Hawkins, an expert on the US's rendition to torture program, in an email, has sent some critical texts where Suleiman pops up. Thus, Jane Mayer, in The Dark Side, pointed to Suleiman's role in the rendition program:

`Each rendition was authorized at the very top levels of both governments....The long-serving chief of the Egyptian central intelligence agency, Omar Suleiman, negotiated directly with top Agency officials. [Former U.S. Ambassador to Egypt] Walker described the Egyptian counterpart, Suleiman, as "very bright, very realistic," adding that he was cognizant that there was a downside to "some of the negative things that the Egyptians engaged in, of torture and so on. But he was not squeamish, by the way" (pp. 113).' ''

http://www.counterpunch.org/soldz01312011.html ---------------

If Suleiman's speech a couple of days age is any thing to go by, Egyptians would either jeer or laugh. I am sure they know what the director of intelligence means, i.e. secret police, torture, etc.

I posted the article because I knew Sulieman was bad news, but not quite this bad.

At the moment the demand is they will talk to nobody until Mubarak leaves office. Very likely they will not talk to anybody in Mubarak's new cabinet and will probably have nothing to do with the leader of parliment. As of the end of Tuesday some giant mass in Tahrir square has vowed to stay until Mubarak goes.

What I am wondering is the relationship between the army and the intelligence service. There are three security systems: central security forces (the civilian police), the army, and the presidential guard. What this division means I think is that the army is somewhat separate from the other two. This implies a conflict between the ministry of interior and the army. I suspect what the mass are trying their best to do is separate the army from the other two. It seems the civilians have organized with and in coordination with the army to do security work.

It seems to me the military itself is split. The army so far has avoided choosing sides. But it will have to choose.

CG