[lbo-talk] Letter to Brooklyn College President Karen Gould

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 1 13:07:50 PST 2011

To: Karen L. Gould President, Brooklyn College 2900 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11210 (718) 951-5000

February 1, 2011

Dear President Gould:

The Committee for the Open Discussion of Zionism (CODZ) applauds Brooklyn College's decision to reverse its removal of Kristofer Petersen-Overton from his assignment due to pressure from a single individual, Assemblyman Dov Hikind, a former supporter of Meir Kahane's JDL. We note that unfortunately Hikind is not the first elected official to act to suppress freedom of speech and academic integrity in U.S. colleges on behalf of the State of Israel.

We are a group of lawyers, professors, physicians, writers and others who came together in 2007 to counter our society's pervasive suppression of criticism of Israel, often in a manner that reminds us of McCarthyism.

It is clear from Petersen-Overton's syllabus that he had no intention of singling out Israel for attack, while Hikind clearly has an agenda that is driven by Zionist ideology rather than academic integrity.

The Provost's actions betrayed the standards of free thought and expression upon which a flourishing academy must be grounded. Increasingly, the American people, including a growing number of Jews, are rejecting the injustice of such actions. We are grateful that you have acted in the best interest of academic integrity and against bullying by a fear-minded ideologue by reversing the Provost's decision and reinstating Petersen-Overton. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Abdeen Jabara Attorney and Board Member, Center for Constitutional Rights*

Carl Schieren M.I.A., formerly with the American University in Cairo

Michael Smith, Esq. Attorney

Mitchel Cohen Brooklyn Greens / Green Party, and Chair, WBAI (99.5 FM) Local Station Board*

Len Weinglass Attorney

Alice Shields former faculty, New York University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Psychology

Barbara Harvey Attorney

Nina Felshin former faculty and curator, Wesleyan University

Howard Brandstein Executive Director, Sixth Street Community Center, NYC*

Jonathan House, M.D. Faculty, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Department of Psychiatry Former Secretary, American Psychoanalytic Association

Dennis James Attorney

Barbara Grossman Attorney

Joel Kovel, MD

Brian Drolet Director, Deep Dish TV

John Moran emeritus [retired] Dept. of Philosophy, Manhattan College and former adjunct at Hunter College

Thomas Hillgardner Attorney

Bertell Ollman Prof. of Politics, New York University

Dave Lippman Musical journalist

*Organizations listed for identification purposes only.

-------------------------------------------------------- Committee for Open Discussion of Zionism Church St. Station P.O. Box 3158 New York, N.Y. 10008-3158