[lbo-talk] What's going on with the IMF ?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:25:53 PST 2011

On 2/2/2011 10:12 AM, Shane Mage wrote:

> Strauss-Kahn has to decide very soon to leave Washington if he wants
> to run for the PS nomination.
> He's ahead in national polls, and Sarkozy is toast.
> But to have a chance for nomination from the PS electorate he will
> have to do an Obama and pretend to be pro-worker.

That reminds me. At some public forum with Pascal Lamy recently, DSK was asked the "Left" question. Here's his answer. By the way, I highly recommend clicking on the link to get a look at Pascal Lamy (director of the WTO), who's sitting on the right. He looks like a Bond villain in that Nehru suit!

SA

---

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg2evf_dsk-pourquoi-je-suis-de-gauche-images-de-la-tsr_news

Q: From the point of view of intimate convictions, what remains left-wing about you?

[slow-boil laughter, then applause]

A: Everything. [applause]. What was at the origin of my political convictions was the feeling that the world was too unequal, that it was unjust, and it could be corrected. That there was no reason to accept this. That if we took our future in our hands we could change it, that the people are master of their destiny, that there's no reason to leave a part of the world in poverty when the other part is richer. That at the level of countries there's no reason to simply let things be settled by the invisible hand of the market. That of course we had to find an efficient system for the working of the economy but that [walrasian?] efficiency was unable to put the touch of humanity on it. These political convictions are the same. They haven't changed.