[lbo-talk] as if on cue

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 2 13:57:12 PST 2011

Doug Henwood Forgot the part about the shared lie about the past and a unifying hatred of the neighbors.

===

I'd never come across this, but it is an extremely useful perspective. Stalin's common language and common culture simply don't fit actual history. I came across something in the last year or so on France which indicated that it did not have either a common language or culture, not even an approach to such, until imposed in the late 19th-c. I can't remember any of the details, so this isn't too reliable but it seemed persuasive at the time. Something like that would explain the eagerness of the French army to find an internal enemy in Drefuss.

Carrdol