[lbo-talk] Excellent article on Egypt

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Feb 2 14:30:20 PST 2011

>I find it rather amusing, this urge of intellectuals to search for the
> future in the external events of two or three days. In the past the
> meaning
> of such initial conflicts has never been visible except from the
> perspective
> of at least two or three years in the future.
>
> Carrol

Rather than argue with you....

Your problem is you fought in the lecture hall and small meeting rooms. You never frought in the street, wondered around looking for rocks. You never got the shit nearly beat out of you. You were never in narrow side streets in a big city where roof tops and human blockaids were essential. Downtown Oakland and Berkeley are full of these traps. You never stared down a five year prison sentence. You probably never got that jumpy adrenialin rush.

Now I don't fault you. Everybody does their part. On the other hand these experiences also contain a lot of knowledge or meaning that does bare on perceptions of what is going on in Tahrir and around Egypt today.

CG