[lbo-talk] How much do college students...

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 08:11:21 PST 2011

On 2/3/2011 10:48 AM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> I thought the general argument for increases in productivity were rooted in
> studies that show Americans working longer and harder for effectively no
> more in wages and salaries - not in much of anything to do with the
> development of new, more sophisticated skill sets.

Just to clear up a common confusion: labor productivity = output / hours worked. It has nothing to do with wages. Wages can be high; wages can be low; it doesn't affect the measurement of productivity.

In principle, productivity can increase via an greater work intensity - i.e., working harder/more per hour on the job. But if you look at a chart of labor productivity over the past 100 years (or even 30 years) it becomes obvious that it can't be chalked up to ever-increasing intensity. Eventually intensity would hit its 100% maximum and productivity growth would stop.

SA