[lbo-talk] How much do college students...

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 08:38:49 PST 2011

SA wrote:   "If skills had nothing to do with productivity, then wouldn't you expect to see GE building factories in the poorest countries with the lowest wages - e.g., in Africa, Central America, the Mideast, Central Asia? Instead, they build them in Vietnam, Indonesia, China, Malaysia - countries with much higher wages. The business people involved in those decisions usually say skill levels have a lot to do with these decisions."   DG responds: So how skilled do American workers need to get to get these jobs?   SA, I understand the definition of productivity, and I understand that certain basic skill levels are necessary for increases in productivity, as is better equipment, etc. But I don't understand claims that marginal differences in educational attainment among developed nations explain differences in productivity, employment, wages, etc. It seems obvious to me that these differences are political. So why is so much attention devoted to marginal differences in educational attainment among developed nations? "Human capital" theory exists in order to avoid fundamental realities of capitalist exploitation. Why would anyone on a leftist listserv want to indulge that line of thinking?   David Green