[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 09:49:42 PST 2011

Well, I don't know if "national" diffs were a problem for all of European history. Most of European history did not have nations. Mostly clans and fiefdoms, no?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Somebody Somebody" <philos_case at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:44:40 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Wendy Lyon: Whether or not it's "favorable", there doesn't seem to be much evidence that it actually exists as an alternative to national identity. The latter is as strong as ever in Europe.

Somebody: As strong as ever? Until a generation ago, there was still a militarized division of the continent. For all of European history until the current epoch war was part of life, now it's a virtual impossibility for the foreseeable future.

I think it's easy to dismiss the historical significance of the European Union. From a world historical standpoint, despite the problems of monetary union and continued albeit much attenuated national rivalries, it's already a success. A nationalism that expresses itself by sending far-right representatives to the European Parliament isn't much of a nationalism at all.