[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:03:38 PST 2011

On 2011-02-03, at 2:49 PM, Wendy Lyon wrote:

> I mean nobody does national identity like the Canadians, and they're
> not going around starting fascist invasions, are they?

Nationalist movements like the Waffle and Council of Canadians have never gained any traction. The Irish, given their long history of struggle against British imperialism, are much more nationalistic, as you would know. The US has never had any serious ambition to annex Canada, and the relationship between the two countries and their populations has been a benign one..

In fact, if it were not for universal medicare and hockey - the latter being the only venue when any incipient Canadian fascist tendencies surface :) - I expect most Canadians would willingly opt to join the US if the question was put to a referendum. As it is, they're already dominated economically and culturally by the States, but are politically disenfranchised subjects of the Empire and are unable to access the much larger job market across the 49th parallel.