[lbo-talk] how-the-average-us-consumer-spends-their-paycheck

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 04:51:23 PST 2011

Mike: "The Australian Bureau of Statistics has to fight for enough funding to produce a quarterly CPI."

[WS:] I beg to differ. I use ABS website to get all kinds of useful stats.

The world of national statistics is for the most part three-tiered. In the first tier, you have OECD countries and high income non OECD countries that regularly produce the wealth of high quality data (this includes ABS, BLS/BEA, Statistics Canada, Statistics NZ, UK Office for National Statistics, and EUROSTAT (with corresponding national statistical agencies).

The second tier is inhabited by upper middle income and some lower middle countries (most of Latin America and Asia, and South Africa) that produce decent national accounts, employment and demographic data plus some social statistics. The third tier are low and some lower middle income countries (the so-called "global south") that produce limited national accounts and demographic data and even more limited labor stats - and practically nothing beyond it.

Wojtek