[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:50:54 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> I think Chomsky has this exactly backwards: what is necessary for the
> capitalist class to maintain power is the widespread ideology that the
> current allocation of resources and power is the result of the free choices
> of individuals in the economic and political spheres.  Those in power do not
> "fear" people being free;

Yes. As the old guy recognized a long time ago: "Equality and freedom are thus not only respected in exchange based on exchange values but, also, the exchange of exchange values is the productive, real basis of all equality and freedom." Capitalism requires free subjects, or at least formally free ones. It's just that its negatively defined idea of freedom sucks.

Though I think it's wrong to think of this freedom as ideological, or as merely ideological.