[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 13:57:51 PST 2011

Wojtek wrote:

> So, can you tell me in a paragraph or two what I should know about the
> "left?"

Wait, so you're just unaware that a breakaway from the SPD got together with the former PDS to form a political party that received 12 percent in the last national elections, and that one of the main personalities is the former finance minister under the first Schroeder government?

Sorry, but this is something that even outfits like the Financial Times and Guardian have reported on, not some obscure piece of information about a sect. It's not arrogance on my part to suggest that you *really* should hold back with authoritative pronouncements about European social reality if you don't know such basic things.

It's not trolling if somebody in Europe points out that most of the time, you and Dennis just don't know what you're talking about. I realize at this point that the idealized picture of the EU is a product of desperation and despair at the prospects for social change in the United States. That may explain the ideological distortions, but it doesn't excuse them.