[lbo-talk] Ramadan and Zizek on Egypt (redux)

Ira Glazer ira.glazer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 03:02:44 PST 2011

[Sorry for the formatting of the previous message; apparently there is no allowance for spaces that indicate the separation between sentences.]

I saw this debate as well; Ramadan didn't say anything of substance, but Zizek's first comment is the salient one: this is simply a struggle for dignity, and for the chance to live a decent life. Anybody who has seen how most Egyptians live (as do people in many, many other parts of the world) understands this quite clearly.

Personally, these protests are one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen; how anyone can not feel empathy with the protesters is beyond me.

The issue of the Muslim Brotherhood is a red herring: it is exclusively an internal matter amongst Egyptians. As Zizek said, the international aspect is the solidarity that should be expressed with people fighting for dignity, and for the chance to live a decent life.