[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 09:03:54 PST 2011

On 7 February 2011 16:05, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>> But, you know, the streets of London are as
>> cosmopolitan and multilingual as anywhere else in the EU - despite
>> their supposed insularity (and the fact they are not part of
>> Schengen).
>
> Yes, but that's not where the opposition to the EU comes from, is it? I thought it was more rural Tories.

Well, the UK Independence Party has at least one MEP representing London. But one of the British-based listees would be better equipped to address that in detail.

Though it's worth pointing out that England - and when you're talking about "British insularity" (not to mention "Tories") it really is mostly England that you're talking about - is really very thoroughly urbanised. There aren't really a lot of rural people there, Tory or otherwise. It's hard to see how a whole nation could be defined by a characteristic (i.e. insularity) of such a small percentage of the population.