[lbo-talk] Goodbye to the export of surplus capital?

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 09:16:49 PST 2011

SA wrote:

I think the "first cause" of the 2000's bubble was simply the formation of expectations among home-buyers that house prices would rise at fantastic rates. (Perhaps generalizing from localized examples of this from the boom years of the 1990's, when certain localities received sudden influxes of very wealthy people, resulting in massive - but stable - increases in home values.) Once those expectations became generalized, it turns out that the complex financial stuff that claimed to disperse risk - MBS, CDOs, etc. - was more or less rational. I think the data show that most of those financial products actually would have paid off if home prices had met the forecasts embedded in the Wall Street models. It was the hysterical forecast of price appreciation, not the "hiding" of risk (it was never really hidden), that constituted the bubble. In other words, this was about a classic national mania - a la Charles Mackay - rather than the necessary outgrowth of evolutions in rates of return to money-capital.

Okay, but how do you not include the role that financial innovations and policy changes played in the ability of lenders to increase their leverage. Surely, this increased the pressure to lend which helped with the inflation of the bubble. I don't see how it could simply be a one way relationship. Wouldn't the two work together to inflate the bubble?

Brad