[lbo-talk] Goodbye to the export of surplus capital?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 8 10:38:05 PST 2011

If you check the review from several years ago in Historical Materialism of the new German edition of Capital 3, you will find out that it was not only illness and age that prevented finishing that volume but Marx's decision that he needed to know more about the stock market and he was beginning a study of the U.S. stock market as part of expanding his knowledge prior to rewriting the jumbled Capital 3. Perhaps Angelus can give us a bit more information on this.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 12:06 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Goodbye to the export of surplus capital?

On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> I'd be curious to know from those who have made a careful study of Marx,
what if anything he had to say about the 19th century market in agricultural futures?

I've read pretty much everything Marx wrote about finance and I don't recall anything. But my memory ain't what it used to be.

Also: options (on stocks) were traded in 17th century Amsterdam, so derivatives have a longer history even than ag futures.