[lbo-talk] Sternberg article on Academically Adrift

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 15:15:28 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net>

"What are we really looking at here, a bunch of corporate brands, fighting it out on the supermarket shelves of college testing services? Call me paranoid, but I see this competition as just another approach to gain corporate entry into higher education, indirectly by making these kinds of assessments part of the education system."

Well, yeah, exactly. The only thing more tragic than a bureaucrat trying to define education is a bureaucrat trying to define health care.

Fuck them. All they understand is "more" and "faster." There is no content there, none.

Teaching is partly about transmitting content and mostly about having people fall in love. Teaching is fundamentally erotic. And they think this can be tested?

Joanna