[lbo-talk] Patricia Williams vs. the Tiger Mom

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Feb 8 18:10:34 PST 2011

I think I have watched this Tiger Mom syndrome operate on two kids by a friend's ex-wife. Me and D spent years trying to figure out what was going on, what was his ex-wife doing, why, and how she almost accomplished her goals, which seemed to be, to psychologically damage and wound everyone in the family.

D decided after talking with another friend who was a practicing psychologist in family counseling, that his ex-wife exhibited many elements of what is currently called a borderline personality disorder. Below is a link to a short article that discusses BPD and several schools of thought about the disorder for those who want more:

http://www.palace.net/llama/psych/bpd.html

>From what I watched, people like Tiger Mom destroy their children--and
anyone who shares a close social relation with them. It is in my view a social pathology, because it breaks down the ability to socially function within society. From what I watched over an almost ten year period was a Tiger Mom type who used her psychological manipulation skills under the pretense of helping her children's learning and social development, actually perform the opposite effect.

Superficially, she appeared to be a control freak, and she was that. This was also pretty much the profile of my last boss, a Thai-Chinese woman. But it was also pretty much the same profile that fit the boss-owner of the business before her. He was just a slightly different and lesser version of the same syndrome. He was the usual white small business guy of no ethnic background, some anglo-saxon something.

So rightly or wrongly, I see an almost direct connection between these psychological types and neoliberalism mantra of competition, more, faster, harder, etc the intensification scheme that is destroying our societies.

CG