[lbo-talk] Sternberg article on Academically Adrift

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 8 20:44:28 PST 2011

Of SA

> general claim.

What we know so far:

Analytical thinking: Very little learning. Other types of thinking: Unknown.

This paints an unhappy portrait.

I really don't understand why we should be unhappy.

Only a very small number of students become electronic engineers. We should be unhappy?

What if what is crudely called "analytic thinking" is merely a skill not as much in demand as you and others quite _unanalytically_ just take for granted. I believe the study showed that some fairly substantial percentage did show this kind of learning. How do you know that that is not all we need.

Carrol