[lbo-talk] Once again, food prices

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 10:52:56 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM, brad <babscritique at gmail.com> wrote:

> [http://www.huffingtonpost.com]:
>
> "Wheat is up 75% in the last 12 months, corn up a little more. Coffee
> is up 85% and cotton a spectacular 140%.
>
> While flooding in Australia, a drought in Russia and weak harvests in
> India and China are the fundamental drivers for this upwards trend,
> there is little doubt that investors and traders looking to diversify
> and capitalize on the supply shortages are moving these prices much
> more significantly and faster.

As I believe I clearly showed ( http://theclearview.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/foodproductionvsprices2009-10b.png) , food production was either up or flat for all but wheat... yet they all spiked in price regardless of production and supplies.

I just checked cotton as well - production likewise is up - 14% over last year. But prices are up 140%. There is widespread government stockpiling and private hoarding in all these commodities (partly inspired by expected rises), which also again further affects price and availability.

This Huffington Post article is grossly mistaken as to the cause. As is Paul Krugman.