[lbo-talk] Meet Egypt's Future Leaders, Esam Al-Amin

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 17:38:33 PST 2011

I'm not familiar with Esam Al-Amin, but checkmate? Hardly.

The Egyptian people's movement is currently only at a bourgeois-democratic stage with bourgeois-democratic demands - keep the national/military clique in power while removing the croney-capitalist clique. Rewrite the constitution as a bourgeois constitution keeping the same bourgeoisie in power (minus the Gamal/Hosni/Omar clique). Read Paul Amar's analysis of the class forces running the country. The militarist/nationalist bourgeoisie is in no danger whatsoever of losing power. They are also fully capable and ready for putting down the uprising. The uprising is an advance, certainly, but no checkmate - not even check.

To my knowledge, today was the first day that there was even any participation of the organized labor movement (3 unions joined today) and nothing in Egypt will happen without them. And still no revolutionary party involvement. Still no split in the military (despite the croney capitalists being neutered), no communist recruitment of the young officers in the military, which is critical. Without winning over and putting into leadership the proletariat (which at this point is only beginning to become involved), there will be no revolution. Suez workers are now on strike, but they are only just beginning to join the political movement, rather than only making economic demands. I see many, many months more of turmoil before there could be any semblance of a revolutionary situation developing.

Even the Christian Science Monitor has better analysis than that article.

Here: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/0209/Egypt-protesters-seek-to-spread-beyond-Tahrir-Square

*"If the democracy protesters fully link up with Egyptian laborers, where resentment has been building for the past decade over declining real wages and management abuses like withholding pay, the Egyptian uprising could blossom into a full-blown national revolution.*

*"But that remains very much an open question since so many workers' demands remain purely economic and they demonstrate some suspicion toward the demands for a full regime change."* For comparison, just think back - in Portugal in 1974-75, the entire lower ranks of the military were members of the PCP, there were hundreds of thousands of people marching behind the banners of the PCP, MDP/CDE, etc.

The revolution was planned beginning to end by the PCP. And they still lost the revolution. When Mandela was released, there was a sea of SACP flags greeting him - and they lost the revolution there as well.

Unfortunately, it appears there is a long way to go before this is more than a simple shuffling of the bourgeois deck.

-Peter