[lbo-talk] Meet Egypt's Future Leaders, Esam Al-Amin

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Feb 9 19:38:34 PST 2011

``The Egyptian people's movement is currently only at a bourgeois-democratic stage with bourgeois-democratic demands - keep the national/military clique in power while removing the croney-capitalist clique..'' Peter Jay

------

The union strikes, the protests expansion, the question of the army, the involvement of lawyers, judges, journalists, medical people, as well as transportation, education, and the slow dissolve of state media... I read the CSM article and it reports pretty much the same thing but with more ambivalence toward the unions. I suspect the reason it took them longer to join was they had to separate themselves from the regime sanctioned union bosses.

The Egyptians at the center of this movement seem to me to be learning very fast. The linkages between the US, EU, and the embodiment of a core power elite in the likes of Suleiman, Wisner, the croney capitalists in Egypt and the EU, US with all the interesecting directorats of finance, energy, military industrial complex, secret police, intelligence services, and corrupt political establishments in the west, should already be clear.

I suspect they are being drawn much further left than they imagined when they started. What I think is of key interest are the divisions in the military where Sulieman commands military police and intelligence services. Robert Fisk reported today that the tanks in and around Tahrir have Arabic markings on the sides, but western numbers and letters on the front. These are apparently on loan and technically still owned by the US. So I have to wonder what are the units involved and what is their position with the general ranks. I think the bulk of soldiers are conscripts.

You don't have to be a communist to understand you need the infrastructure working masses as a foundation. You don't need to be a communist to know, you must work to split the common military from its internal police, intelligence system, and top commanders. You don't need to be a communist to understand the elite of your country has robbed you blind and is completely within the the grip of an international imperial elite. You don't need to be a communist to know you must begin to seize control of state owned industries from below.

I think most of the above is already underway.

CG