[lbo-talk] how the regime is winning in Egypt

Hein Marais hein at marais.as
Thu Feb 10 06:30:49 PST 2011

Not sure about that. AT least not when one is eyeing a possible political settlement.

It's not so much an institutional structure, as a political (and social) organization that is capable of staking a forceful and persuasive claim to manage key institutional structures. At least that's what I learnt from the South African transition in the late 1980s to early 1990s. One of the ingredients was the existence of a "government-in-waiting", the African National Congress, with enough sway and popular support to be able to deliver on the main compromises that would underpin a settlement. That doesn't mean it has to guarantee delivery, but it's got to seem capable of delivering. A watershed moment for me (and there were many others, too, of course), was the ANC's deft handling of the immediate aftermath to the assassination of SA Communist Party leader Chris Hani in early 1993.

Others on this list might have other examples that refute my suggestion ... I'd like to hear them. Hein