[lbo-talk] The role of social media in the Egyptian uprising

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 10 13:39:54 PST 2011

Doug Henwood having written "Really? If I hear another hymn of praise to social media, I may fucking scream."

On Feb 10, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Carrol Cox, once more showing his talent at going from the absurd to the totally ridiculous, wrote:
> ...I agree with Doug...Social media are as old as cave paintings at
> the least...

Neither of these profound thinkers seem to realize that, *in the past ten years*, hundreds of millions (and soon billions) of people have become instantly interconnected via electronic media. Since Moore's Law remains entirely valid, we can anticipate with certainty an equally explosive transformation in the technology of human social consciousness over the next decade, to say nothing about the further future. But relax, nothing to expect, just a few more cave paintings...

Shane Mage "Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64