[lbo-talk] The role of social media in the Egyptian uprising

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Thu Feb 10 15:55:46 PST 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I just didn't know the term had caught on in such a big and specific way. According to wiki, internet forums like lbotalk are social media.

Sure. But not the other stuff, printed or recorded. Talk radio might be participatory, with it's 'call-ins', although the calls are generally filtered. I think that the 'social media' have an absence of moderation that makes them significantly different than earlier moderated attempts. LBO is only slightly moderated, and gives Carrol significantly more than a few individuals, of a group gathered in a room, to share with.

martin