[lbo-talk] Once again, food prices

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 18:19:02 PST 2011

At 09:00 09 02 11, brad wrote:

>Maybe someone can illuminate how workers would be hurt more by a
>declining US$ than say bankers, capitalists and generally anyone with
>lots of US$? I simply do not understand leftists who want to claim
>that maintaining a overvalued US$ is in the best interest of workers.

I've been watching the US$ get devalued year after year, all of my life. I don't understand why anyone would think that the dollar needs to be devalued even further. Is this one of those "It has to get worse before it can get better." things? Since the $ has been getting devalued year after year, for years, when will it start getting better?

>There is a reason that Paul Ryan wants to increase the value of the
>US$ and scare everyone with the inflation boogieman, because it would
>help capitalists.

Just as devaluation helps debtors by allowing them to pay back the fixed-rate debt with devalued dollars, making it easier to pay that debt off. So if capital is really in charge, why all the devaluation?

Percy