[lbo-talk] Vatican bans confession by iPhone

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 11 06:28:42 PST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 7:10 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Wojtek S wrote:
>
>> [WS:] I searched the Droid market and found that they have similar but secular apps. The idea is to "confess" some dirty secret and post it on the web for others to read. Smacks of voyeurism cum exhibitionism. The Catholics seem more discreet.
>
> The Catholic one is completely represented here. They "deny" that you can confess by iPhone because it was a misapprehension in the first place. This app is simply a way to organize your confession, to remember you sins since last time. They've had these guides in paper form for 100s of years.

It'd be nice if they could work out a sort of balance sheet/income statement thing: your sins = X years in purgatory; three Hail Mary's will get your term reduced by Y years; throw in some holy water and a novena, and you're a free soul; fantasize about your neighbor's spouse, you're back up to Z years - a real-time running total!