[lbo-talk] Wall St and Religion

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 10:50:24 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ira Glazer" <ira.glazer at gmail.com>

"Now we have this: “I ( former Goldman Sachs co-chairman John Whitehead) speak out rarely, and this is one time when I can’t hold myself back,” he said, adding that the exchange is an “important symbol” of American capitalism and of New York City’s status as a global financial center. “I think of it as a holy institution.”

This, I would say, is a sign of weakness. The whole point of bourgeois self-making was to do away with annointed kings and to claim authority on the basis of competence and actual material benefit.

As the benefit gradually accrues to a smaller and smaller part of the population, it becomes once again necessary to invoke divine blessings. Not a good sign.

Joanna