[lbo-talk] See!

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Feb 11 11:05:03 PST 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Wojtek S wrote:

> [WS:] No doubt. But to lay hold on these institutions, they need to
> have institutional framework in place (unions, organizations, political
> parties, etc.) - which I believe is Gramsci. I may be wrong, of course,
> but I simply do not see any such institutions in Egypt, not even Muslim
> Brotherhood. Do you?

Yep. The unions are very strong, and have recently formed federation. Besides the MB, there's the Tomorrow party of Ayman Nor, the Kefaya movement (human rights) and the New Wafd party. There are many other civil society groups, from NGOs to soccer supporters to neighborhood groups to business groups. Civil society is well organized in Egypt and one of the best things about the way things have broken so far is that they have come together and brokered a common program before the take over.

Who knows what the future brings. But at the moment, it actually looks quite good -- much better than in Tunisia.

Michael