[lbo-talk] The Devil's Milk: A Social History of Rubber

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sat Feb 12 09:55:02 PST 2011

Monthly Review Press has just published John Tully's The Devil's Milk: A Social History of Rubber. This is a tour de force of research and scholarship, the definitive account of the history of one of the world's most important commodities. Tully takes us from Brazil, Liberia, India, Vietnam to Akron, Ohio and Nazi concentration camps to give us a remarkable and fascinating account of the transformation of an amazing substance into an enormous array of products, from dental fillings and condoms to undersea telecommuncations cables, tires, and military equipment. I urge you to get a copy, review it, tell others about it. I am very proud to have served as editor for this book.

Check out http://www.monthlyreview.org/books/devilsmilk.php

Michael Yates