[lbo-talk] The role of social media in the Egyptian uprising

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Feb 12 10:20:06 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Beck" <ersatzdog at gmail.com>

http://spaceandpolitics.blogspot.com/2011/02/resonance-and-egyptian-revolution.html ___________________________________

Funny you should send this along. I played bridge last night with a very cynical globe trotting scientist, a somewhat conservative mathematician, and a liberal physicist. The game ended at midnight, but oddly enough, we were up till three in the morning talking about freedom. This was not a discussion I initiated, and though we have often stayed up for an hour or so prattling, never on such a concept as this. Egypt was mentioned in passing, but was not the focus of the conversation. "Coincidentally" though the subject was freedom.

Another very cynical and apolitical friend wrote back in response to an email I sent about Egypt a few days ago to say, "Yes, but how can we have that here?"

Joanna