[lbo-talk] The role of social media in the Egyptian uprising

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Feb 12 23:15:31 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julio Huato" <juliohuato at gmail.com>

Or maybe I just don't get why Gladwell is so intent in belittling the role of these technologies in today's struggles. What's really the claim? --------

I've read a fair amount of Gladwell's stuff. Ultimately I think, there's no claim, just the ongoing need to position himself as a sexy intellectual, which means that he must often adopt a contrarian position. It makes him stand out and justifies his claim to intelligent insight. He's more sophisticated and he is a better writer than Thomas Friedman, but finally, he too will claim that the earth is flat in order to be heard.

As standing out from the crowd is his bread and butter, I don't blame him, but I don't find much there there. Orwell could write deeply interesting things when taking contrarian positions, for example, defending Kipling or Henry Miller. Gladwell cannot.

That's all.

Joanna