[lbo-talk] The role of social media in the Egyptian uprising

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 13 07:02:35 PST 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011, Julio Huato wrote:

> What we call "face to face" is simply using the air in the immediate
> vicinity of our bodies, and also the "ether" -- the contiguous
> electromagnetic spectrum -- to interact.

No, face to face means having a conversation of gestures -- a feedback loop of immediate reactions -- using our faces, hands and tones of voice. A lot of information, emotion and bonding is conveyed that way.

You are free to argue that it doesn't matter. But I don't think you can say it's an false distinction. It is, in fact, FBOW, one of the founding distinctions of sociology and anthropology.

Michael