[lbo-talk] Once again, food prices

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 06:01:07 PST 2011

I wonder if something more fundamental is being glossed over. I asked, is this one of those "has to get worse before it can get better" things, where it keeps getting worse and never gets better?

Whom exactly was it, that first convincingly pronounced the US$ to be overvalued and in need of devaluation? How will the rest of us know when the correct valuation has been attained? How do we know that the US$ isn't already undervalued, for that matter.

Percy

How exactly would it get worse? US food prices generally don't rise as much as others because we are a food exporting country and food prices are priced in US dollars. I am not really that concerned with rising Euro vacation prices. So do you mean Chinese imports will get more expensive? Yes, I guess so.

On the second point: you talk as if there is some natural, objective valuation for a currency. There isn't. It is all relative and qualitative and rather manipulated. I don't generally think the US dollar value should decline that much, or that rapidly. My main point is that all they hype and fear of its decline is a political talking point to get at the true target: to cut state spending in key areas such as social programs, education, public welfare etc. (ie: neoliberalism). The whole idea that we are in a global competition with everyone else which requires us to maintain a solid (neoliberal) fiscal house, has been the basis of neoliberal shifts in spending for 30+ years. Manipulating the currency and creating political hype about inflation and devaluation is just one more means to further the neoliberal project.

Brad