[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 10:17:19 PST 2011

Wendy: "But no one on the left thinks that any national governance structures anywhere function in workers' interests,"

[WS:] That is why the left is way out in the left field on this. But that does not represent the entire left either.

Wendy: "I'm not really thrilled with the metaphor but if the only lifeboats available to you are shitty ones, you don't get in the least shitty one since it's going to sink you anyway, you try to build a new one.

[WS:] It has been tried before, and the results were even less satisfactory. So far, European style social democracy has been head and shoulders above any other real alternative as far as interests of the working class is concerned. I used to live in a "workers' state" - it was not as bad as bourgeois propaganda claims, but I would not trade it for European social democracy, or even plain EU.

Wendy: "The issue is that it doesn't do so and it won't do so. That's not what it's there for."

[WS:] That sounds pretty fatalistic for someone who advocates building an alternative to the existing state structures. If I took my car to a garage and the mechanic told me that he could not fix it but he could build me a new car, I would look for a different garage.

Wojtek