[lbo-talk] Wisconsin labor

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:53:01 PST 2011

Joshua Morey

I agree that solidarity is important but the Democratic party presents, in my opinion, a very real threat to any meaningful challenge to these hostilities against working people.

^^^^ CB: If the governor is a Tea Partier, then these hostilities against working people have a substantial overlap with hostility against Obama and Democrats ( See last years election campaign , Tea Party rhetoric).

^^^^^^^

If dems want to march, fine, they can shout and take up space as well as anybody else, but when they send leagues of party staffers and their college-club minions to these rallies to ostentatiously present themselves as an alternative to the present political climate, it makes my belly-button itch with suspicion, frustration, even contempt. Their principles for organization and demonstration are fundamentally different from the actual purpose of this week's rallies - not that there is a singular, monolithic purpose, but there is some degree of consistent coherence to the demands of the protestors; i suspect the dems, on the other hand, as an organization are merely seizing opportunity for attention so they can be next in line to, as Shane Mage wrote, be the piper.

^^^^^ CB: Yes, the Democrats are trying to get elected. That's the only way one can control the laws, challenge the laws you are trying to challenge. Wisconsin masses aren't at the Egyptian level where u could win it with the majority of the population in the streets. Damn , the Wisconsin majority voted for the proto-fascist governor !

What are the goals of the demonstration ?

^^^^^^^

Is it inconceivable that Obama would attempt something similar to walker's plan? Perhaps it would be unlikely, but he has clearly demonstrated that it is not inconceivable.

^^^^^ CB: Do you mean that Obama would seek to repeal the National Labor Relations Act or something ? I'd say no , he has not clearly demonstrated that it is not inconceivable that he would seek to repeal the NLRA. I think u r reading too much LBO-Talk on Obama lol

^^^^^^^^

Would similar protests happen under such a scenario? Absolutely. Would the Democratic party, as an organization, show up? I doubt it.

^^^^^^^^ CB: Yes, there would be enormous protests and major strikes if anybody tried to repeal the NLRA. It is an unlikely hypothetical that Obama would try to do that.